Welcome to Virtual Recreation
The City of Manhattan continues to take a proactive approach towards slowing the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). ALL FACILITIES, PROGRAMS, ACTIVITIES, AND SPECIAL EVENTS ARE CANCELED UNTIL AT LEAST MAY 17, 2020.
All Parks and Recreation programs, activities, and facility rentals will be closed or canceled during this time period. This includes youth and adult sports, camps, waterparks, the skate park, splash parks, senior activities, special populations activities, and community events. All public playgrounds, turf fields, and park restrooms are closed. The Flint Hills Discovery Center, Sunset Zoo, and the Douglass Center are also closed. Please note, our animals and parks continue to be cared for.
Despite these closures and cancelations, Manhattan Parks & Recreation encourages community members to continue to stay active, connected, and enriched during this time. Below is a list of virtual recreation resources.
*** Remember to avoid crowds and maintain a safe physical/social distance of at least 6-feet away from others! ***
Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep. Take time to unwind and try to do activities you enjoy.
Train at home with these fitness tutorials.
- Work Out with Me
- No gym required!
- Nike Training Club
- NCHPAD - Health at Home
- Fitness Blender
- AARP Fitness Activities for Older Adults
- National Institute on Aging Go4Life
- Article: How to Exercise While Staying at Home (BBC News)
- Article: Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health for Ages 65+ (World Health Organization)
Kids dance, yoga, sports, and more!
- Article: 101 non-screen activities for kids
- Fitness Blender for Kids
- Dance Videos for Kids
- Cosmic Kids Yoga
- GoNoodle - Music and Mindfulness
Cooking & recipes.
- Fun recipes to cook with kids
- Cook with Me
- Bake with Me
- Article: Gourmet cooking with pantry staples
- Article: Cooking at home during coronavirus
Get out of the house!
- Safety at the park
- Is it safe to visit the park?
- Take a walk, bike, or run around your neighborhood - make it fun and engaging!
- Do some spring planting or work on your yard
- Go for a drive
- Ride, run, or walk the city’s parks or trails - check for closures and maintenance before you go
DON’T FORGET YOUR PETS!
Fur friends need exercise, too!
Our customers are reading:
- The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter
- The Running Man by Stephen King
- Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter
- Girls Burn Brighter by Shaobha Rao
- Factfulness by Hans Rosling
- A B C Murders by Agatha Christi
- Need a book idea? Check out Good Reads
- America’s 100 most-loved books
- 50 Books all kids should read before they’re 12
- 100 Best children’s book of all time
Need some ideas for your Coronaschool day?
- Funbrain K-12
- Story Time from Space
- Khan Academy
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- PBS Reading Games
- Audible - free streaming for children’s audiobooks
- Coronavirus Kids Book
EMOTIONAL HEALTH SUPPORT
Help is available if you need it.
- Child Mind
- Stress & Coping (CDC)
- Working Remotely (CDC)
- Suicide Prevention Hotline
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Disaster Distress Helpline
Connect, take breaks, be mindful.
- Catch up with a friend or relative you may have not spoken to. When was the last time you wrote a letter?
- Talk with people you trust about how you’re feeling.
- Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. It’s important to practice self-care, even for just a few minutes each day. There are many resources online.
- Put down the mobile device and take a break! Turn off the news and be free for a while.
EXPLORE, ENRICH, & ENGAGE
- Check out the Manhattan Public Library - online resources and downloadables
- Visit the Flint Hills Discovery Center - Lunch Box Learning
- Sunset Zoo - Tune in at Two and Earth Day 50 for 50
- Try Some Fun Activities
- Daily Doodle lessons by Mo Willems
- Free Morning Cartooning with Teacher Noah - Free class via live stream Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
- FreeKidsCrafts - Lots of categories with ideas, templates, and print outs.
- Crafts by Amanda
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
Get out without leaving the house.
- Explore using Google Earth, EarthCam or webcamtaxi
- Go on a Virtual Field Trip
- Virtual Tour: America’s Best National Parks
- Virtual Tour: Famous Museums with Google Arts and Culture
- Live Feed: San Diego Zoo
- Live Feed: Kansas City Zoo
- Live Feed: Memphis Zoo
- Digital Show: New York Metropolitan Opera free every night at 7:30 PM
COVID-19 REPUTABLE RESOURCES
- World Health Organization
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Riley County Health Department
- City of Manhattan COVID-19 updates
*Please note, these links are not a product endorsement nor do they represent the opinions of the City of Manhattan or its entities. We are not paid nor are we collecting payment for any third-party sites or services listed or referenced on this page - we simply think they may be helpful. This page will be continuously updated with new resources.