Parks & Recreation Facility Feasibility
The Facility Feasibility Study takes a closer look at the four priorities identified in the Parks and Recreation Strategic Facility Improvement Plan to see how the identified recreation needs can be met with new facilities or renovations to existing facilities.
The four priorities are:
- Creation of indoor space geographically located to meet the unmet needs of the community
- Improvement to safety and playability of existing field playing surfaces
- Improve the availability and condition of community parks, trails, and neighborhood parks
- Development of new indoor aquatic facilities
A consulting team led by Bruce McMillan Architects completed the first phase of the Facility Feasibility Study in April 2016.
Douglass Activity Center
The Douglass Activity Center (formerly named the South East Neighborhood Recreation Center in early-stage planning) is located at the intersection of 10th Street and Fort Riley Boulevard at Douglass Park. Construction of the Activity Center is nearly complete, and the building is expected to open in Spring 2021. The facility will house a basketball court, indoor walking track, and other amenities.
- 2016 Site Plan Concept (PDF)
- 2016 Floor Plan Concept (PDF)
- Douglass Park Report - June 30, 2016 (PDF)
- Douglass Park Report July 19, 2016 Update (PDF)
Anthony and Eisenhower Recreation Centers
Construction of new recreation centers is underway near Anthony and Eisenhower Middle Schools. These City recreation facilities will serve the public and school. The buildings will feature two gymnasiums, indoor walking track, and multi-purpose rooms. Construction at both sites is underway, and is expected to be complete in 2021.
CiCo Park Improvements
Concepts have been developed that show improved playing surfaces and larger fields for baseball and softball in CiCo Park. Additional tennis courts, improved parking and enhanced stormwater drainage are also part of the concepts. Construction of the improvements is estimated at $8.5 million. The Manhattan City Commission has favored Concept B.
- Mar. 29, 2017, Agenda (PDF)
- Jan. 18, 2017, Agenda (PDF)
- Nov. 16, 2016, Agenda (PDF)
- July 6, 2016, Agenda (PDF)
- March 30, 2016, Agenda (PDF)
- Feb. 24, 2016, Agenda (PDF)
- Strategic Facility Improvement Plan (PDF) (2015)
- Manhattan Parks and Recreation Trail Projects (PDF) (2015)
- Parks and Recreation Service Area Map (PDF) (2015)
- Park Guide (PDF) (2015)
- Safe Routes to School Phase 1 Report (PDF) (2015)
- Southeast Neighborhood Recreation Center Project Brief (PDF) (2014)
- Bicycle Master Plan and 5-Year Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Manhattan Recreation Study (PDF) (2006)
- Linear Trail Phase 2 Plan (PDF) (1998)
- CiCo Park Information (PDF)